Whether you are looking for weight loss, muscle gain, and more energy, physical activity can benefit your life. Adults need recess too! Whoever said physical activity is all work and no play? ActivateOmaha is changing that misconception! There is no need to think of strenuous workouts that are painful and boring. Instead, imagine doing fun physical activities you enjoy and look forward to. Do physical activity for enjoyment and watch the health benefits follow!
The evidence is growing and is more convincing than ever! People of all ages who are generally inactive can improve their health and well-being by becoming active at a moderate intensity on a regular basis.
Regular physical activity substantially reduces the risk:
- of dying of coronary heart disease, the nation’s leading cause of death· decreases the risk for stroke · colon cancer · diabetes · high blood pressure · helps to control weight ·contributes to healthy bones, muscles, and joints · reduces falls among older adults · helps to relieve the pain of arthritis · decreases symptoms of anxiety and depression · is associated with fewer hospitalizations, physician visits, and medications.
Moreover, physical activity need not be strenuous to be beneficial; people of all ages benefit from participating in regular, moderate-intensity physical activity, such as 30 minutes of brisk walking five or more times a week.
Consider the following suggestions:
- Walk, cycle, jog, skate, etc., to work, school, the store, or place of worship
- Park the car farther away from your destination
- When shopping, take a couple of extra trips around the mall
- When golfing, walk instead of driving a cart
- Get on or off the bus several blocks away
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator
- Play with children or pets. Everybody wins. If you find it too difficult to be active after work, try it before work
- Take fitness breaks-walking or doing desk exercises-instead of taking cigarette or coffee breaks
- Perform gardening or home repair activities
- Avoid labor-saving devices-turn off the self-propel option on your lawn mower or vacuum cleaner
- Use leg power-take small trips on foot to get your body moving
- Exercise while watching TV (for example, use hand weights, stationary bicycle/treadmill/stairclimber, or stretch)
- Put on your favorite tape or CD and dance to music for 30 minutes
- Keep a pair of comfortable walking or running shoes in your car and office. You’ll be ready for activity wherever you go
- Make a Saturday morning walk a group habit
- Walk while doing errands